Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"FRET NOT...." - Ps. 37:1

OVERHEARD IN THE ORCHARD

Said the Robin to the Sparrow,

"I should really like to know

Why these anxious human beings

Rush about and worry so."


Said the Sparrow to the Robin,

"Friend, I think that it must be

That they have no Heavenly Father

Such as cares for you and me."

-Elizabeth Cheney

Sometimes the old children's poetry and stories
really put things into perspective, do they not?


Definitions of to fret -
made rough on the surface; rubbed or worn away.

"A peevish, irrational, fault-finding person not only wears himself out, but is very wearing to others. To fret is to be in a state of vexation..."

The above came from my Friday's devotion from
Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman...
(I had marked it, so I went back and re-read it after today's devotion.)

note: My poor husband (and everyone else who has had to be around me)..

..I have been quite a "Martha" lately fretting about a great many things...
Hmmm...I've always related to Martha in that....My goodness! Someone had to prepare the meal, did they not? We can't ALL be Mary's....or can we?
...and this was today's:

In nothing be anxious... Phil. 4:6

Twice or thrice a day, look to see if your heart is not disquieted about something; and if you find that it is, take care forthwith to restore it to calm. -Francis de Sales

6 comments:

  1. I missed these inspiring posts. This poem is wonderful! And I like the last saying. I wish I could apply it, though.
    Loved the previous post, too.
    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! Isn't it great?! Sounds like something Robert louis Stevenson might have written.

    And thank you so much, Yiota, for your kind words. They mean a lot!
    I know what you mean about that last quotation....I wish I could apply it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timely...as I'm (supposed to be!) reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World ...

    Hope you are enjoying a fret free day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MyStory! I have that book but have never read it for some reason....I ran across it again several days ago and intend to read it when I finish reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan...which is a GREAT book, by the way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mug,
    I keep coming back to your poem. "such as cares for you and me" - that phrase strikes a peaceful note for me. Thank you for posting these. (You never know who you might be helping...)
    I hope you are more relaxed now, too!

    ReplyDelete